2 1/4 pounds broccoli, cut into flowerets
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves
2 leeks, trimmed and sliced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons butter, plus extra for greasing
6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
salt and pepper
1. Partially boil the broccoli in salted, boiling water for a few minutes, then drain and let cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the garlic and leeks and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. Remove and discard the garlic.
3. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes until lightly browned. Stir in the cream, season with salt and pepper and mix well. Add the broccoli, pour in the wine and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease an ovenproof dish with butter. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the mixture to the prepared dish.
5. Sprinkle with Parmesan, dot with the butter and bake until golden and bubbling.
Recipe adapted from Silver Spoon Cookbook
Cook time: 30 minutes