Recipe adapted from Wellness Mama
Cook Time: 1hr
1 lb ground sausage of choice (leave out the sausage for a vegetarian option)
4 handfuls of raw spinach (about one bag or a bunch)
4-6 medium/large sweet potatoes
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, sage, and basil to taste
Optional toppings- sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, cream cheese
1. Bake sweet potatoes for 45 minutes to an hour until soft (can be done ahead of time and reheated)
2. Brown sausage in a large skillet.
3. When it is almost browned, dice onion and add.
4.When onions have started to soften, add the spinach.
5.Saute until all are cooked and spice to taste.
6.When sweet potatoes are soft, remove and cut in half lengthwise.
7. In a large baking dish or on a baking sheet, Flatten the sweet potato a little bit and add a big scoop of the stuffing mixture to the middle of the sweet potato, evenly dividing among them.
8. Top with cheese (if using)
9. Return to the oven for about 10 minutes to incorporate flavors and melt cheese.
10. Top with sour cream (optional) and serve.