Dana's Black Beans
Seasoning (cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, turmeric, black pepper, bay leaf, or salt)
Stock or broth
1. Sort Beans- Remove any rocks, debris, broken or dehydrated pieces.
2. Soak Beans Overnight in a Brine Solution (Salt & Bay Leaf)- leave uncovered on the counter. Cover with at least 1 inch of water and be sure to leave space for the beans to expand.
3. Rinse Beans thoroughly and remove broken pieces, set aside.
4. Dice Onions, Garlic, Peppers, and Cilantro.
5. Heat Olive Oil and Sautee Onions, Garlic and Peppers until golden brown in a medium saucepan.
6. While sauteing, Add your favorite seasoning like Cumin, Cayenne Pepper, Paprika, Turmeric, Black Pepper, Bay Leaf, and Salt. (You can use your own combination of spices). Add a bit of cilantro to finish.
7. Add Beans and either Water/Stock/Broth. Make sure the beans are fully covered with about a half inch of liquid on top.
8. Stir everything together, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer.
9. Cover and let simmer for approximately 45 minutes. (Can take anywhere from 30-90 minutes) Check back occasionally to taste.
10. Beans should be tender and whole when fully cooked.
11. Serve over rice and garnish with Cilantro. Optional Accompaniments: Diced Tomatoes, Avocado, Greens, Fried Egg.