3 lb pork shoulder roast, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 big or 2 medium white onions, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chicken stock
½ cup tomato sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp pork lard
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
½ tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp chili powder
½ tsp cinnamon
few sprigs of fresh thyme
few bay leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup radishes, diced
½ lemon juice + zest
2 tbsp green onion, diced
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
For garnishing: avocado and lime wedges, cilantro, tortillas, Queso Fresco cheese
1. Add pork lard into the pressure cooker pot and set the mode to sauté.Brown the meat on all sides and season it with salt and pepper.
2. Add onion, garlic, bay leaves and the rest of the spices. Mix well and give it all a good sear for about 10 minutes or until the onion turns golden brown and becomes translucent.
3. Add the tomato sauce, honey, vinegar and stock to the meat. Set the pressure cooker lid on and switch the mode to pressure for 45 minutes.
4. Carefully release the pressure button to let the steam out. Carefully remove the lid and take out the meat. Shred it using two forks.
5. To prepare the radish salsa combine diced radishes, green onion, cilantro and lemon juice with its zest. Mix well and serve on warm tortillas over pork carnitas.
6. Garnish with avocado, lime, cilantro and Queso Fresco cheese.
Recipe adapted from Gastro Senses
Cook time: 45mins.