Building Community Power
Shaquana Boykin works at Myrtle Avenue Brooklyn Partnership where she runs the Healthy Communities Program. The program is used to build community by strengthening local businesses and community connections through a Farm Fresh Box. Shaquana uses Corbin Hill’s wholesale program to create the Farm Fresh Boxes that are distributed every other week at locations along Myrtle Avenue. Listen to how she builds community, shared responsibility, and ownership through her program volunteers.
It's prime potato season. Potatoes are an absolute winter staple. And the best part about this popular starch is there's no shortage of ways to prepare them. Get creative with your potatoes by trying the following Loaded Breakfast Skillet recipe. Want something quick and easy? Check out our bonus recipe for Rosemary and Garlic Roasted Potatoes. Simply delicious.
Loaded Breakfast Skillet
Your Saturday morning just got a lot better.
3 potatoes, rinsed and scrubbed clean, chopped into 3/4" cubes
4 slices bacon, cut into 1" pieces
1 onion, chopped
1/4 c. water
2 cloves garlic
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
Freshly ground black pepper
4 large eggs
1 c. shredded Cheddar
1. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, fry bacon until crispy. Turn off heat and transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Keep most of the bacon fat in skillet, removing any black pieces from the bacon.
2. Turn heat back to medium and add onion to the skillet; sauté, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to soften. Add potatoes and toss until evenly coated in bacon fat. Pour in water and cover skillet with a large lid. (This helps speed up the cooking and prevent burning.) Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes, checking potatoes occasionally. If they start to brown too quickly, remove the lid and add more water.
3. When the potatoes are tender, remove the lid and stir in garlic, green onions, and paprika. Season with salt and pepper. Using a wooden spoon, make four holes in the potatoes to reveal the bottom of skillet. Crack an egg into each hole and season each egg with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese and cooked bacon bits over the entire skillet. Replace lid and cook until eggs are cooked to your liking, about 5 minutes for a just runny egg. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Delish
Cook Time: 40 min
Rosemary and Garlic Roasted Potatoes
2 pounds medium boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 to 6 large rosemary sprigs (about 5 inches long)
4 large garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1. Preheat oven to 450°F with a 4-sided heavy sheet pan in upper third.
2. Toss ingredients with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Spread in 1 layer on hot pan and roast 20 minutes.
3. Loosen potatoes with a metal spatula and turn, arranging pale potatoes around outer edge of the pan and golden potatoes in the center (for even roasting).
4. Roast 15 minutes, then loosen and turn potatoes over again. Roast until potatoes are golden and cooked through and edges are crisp, about 10 minutes more.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious
Cook Time: 35 mins